Richmond County Criminal Court Operations
Effective immediately and until further notice, Richmond County Criminal Court will make the following changes to its operations:
· All in-person appearances will be suspended and rescheduled. (Defense counsel should notify any defendants scheduled to appear this week not to report for an in-person appearance).
· Only essential matters will be scheduled and heard. All other matters will be administratively adjourned.
· Essential matters include live arraignments, preliminary hearings, CPL 180.80 and 170.70 and other time-sensitive applications. (In-person DAT arraignments will be suspended and rescheduled). These matters will be conducted virtually in Part AR1 (and AR 4 on the weekends) and Part AP1. All parties will appear remotely. (Grand Jury operations will be addressed by Supreme Court in a separate email).
· CJA release assessment interviews may not be conducted at the courthouse.
· Only personnel essential to AR1, AP1, back office and security functions will be instructed to report in-person to 26 Central Avenue.
· Public foot traffic for Criminal Court operations will be limited to arraignment viewing, posting of bail and other time-sensitive, critical functions.
Richmond Supreme Operational Adjustments
In an effort to minimize foot traffic and in-person appearances, Richmond Supreme Court will begin implementing they following operational adjustments. These adjustments will be effective immediately and shall remain in place until further notice;
· All Criminal matters requiring and in-person appearance will either be converted to a virtual appearance or reschedule for a future date.
· All civil and matrimonial conferences and appearances will remain to be virtual only.
· Only essential employees will report the court house to maintain of operations.
· Court Reporters, Clerical employees, interpreters and law department employees will report virtually.
· Public foot traffic for the Supreme will be limited to posting of bail, warrant returns and other time-sensitive critical functions.
General Coronavirus Updates
Richmond County Surrogates Court
See the Historical Society for the NY Courts' video, "New York State Lawyers' Response to the Pandemic Project." Click HERE.
Kings County Virtual Discovery Rules click HERE.
NYSBA Recommendations on re-opening Law Firms. Click HERE.